Instructions for completing PS Form 8190
If discussion with the supervisor does not resolve the grievance, the union steward must complete Items 1-8, 10, 11, and
13; obtain supervisor's initials in item 12; and forward to union and management Step A representatives within 7 days of
Item - Explanation
9. To be assigned by computer.
10. Enter the date when the event causing the grievance occurred or when the employee or union first became
aware of the event.
11. Enter the date the employee and/or the union first discussed the grievance with the immediate supervisor.
(This constitutes the Step A filing date.)
12. The supervisor initials confirm the date of discussion.
13. Determine of grievant has filed an MSPB and/or EEO complaint on the same issue.
14. Frame the issue statement in the form of a question. Examples: "Was there just cause for the letter of warning
dated 2/15/98 issued to the grievant for unsatisfactory work performance? "Did management violate Article
8.5.G when the grievant was required to work overtime on 2/15/98?' If discipline is involved, always indicate
the type of discipline (letter of warning, 7-day suspension, indefinite suspension, etc.) in the issue statement.
Also, list specific contractual or handbook provisions involved in the grievance.
NOTE: If the grievance is resolved at Step A, skip to block 19 and there note the principles of the agreement
If the grievance is not resolved, complete blocks 15 through 18.
15. Step A Management and / or Union Representative: List all relevant facts not in dispute.
16. Step A Union Representative: List any facts in dispute based on your understanding of the facts.
Provide concise, descriptive statements outlining the union's petition on the grievance.
17. Step A Management Representative: Use any facts In dispute based on your understanding of the
facts. Provide concise, descriptive statements outlining management's petition on the
18. Step A Union Representative: provide a specific statement of the remedy the union is requesting.
Step A Management Representative: Indicate remedy management is willing to offer (if any).
19. Step A Management and / or Union Representative: Note whether the case is resolved, withdrawn, or not
resolved. If resolved, note the principles of the agreement. If not resolved, complete blocks 15 through 18.
20-21. Enter name, telephone number, signature and date of completion of form.
Click here for PS Form 8190